Healthy Breakfast Muffins
Today’s recipe for banana muffins isn’t very Spanish, but it’s well worth sharing. Ever since accepting my new job, I wake up at the ungodly hour of 6:45 am (after going to sleep around 1:30 am). I’m exhausted and don’t leave myself a minute more than is necessary to get showered and dressed. I’m super lucky to have an awesome husband that, despite working from home, wakes up only a half an hour after me to make us coffee and start his day around my schedule! But a café con leche is far from a breakfast of champions.
In Carmona I was able to eat a proper breakfast at 11:00 while the students had recess. I’d usually go to one of the small bars near the school and enjoy a coffee and slice of whole wheat bread with olive oil, tomato, and ham. Not in Madrid! In the bars around my school breakfast choices are limited to dry looking croissants and other pastries, or cold, soggy churros. Some places do offer toast, but it’s usually white bread and there’s no jamón!
Forced to experiment, I’ve been trying various “on the go” breakfast options. My favorites have been: smoked salmon and cream cheese on a baguette, mini quiches made in muffin tins, and the amazingly successful Banana Chocolate Wheat Bran Muffins!
These muffins were based on a recipe I found at Brown Eyed Baker. They sounded delicious, but I needed to “healthify” them just a bit to justify eating a muffin everyday for breakfast! So I cut back the sugar, used olive oil, and added some wheat bran and dark chocolate. They were delicious, dense, and filling. If you try them, let me know what you think!
Banana Chocolate Wheat Bran Muffins
(Makes 14 small muffins)
- 1.5 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat bran (salvado de trigo in Spanish)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 mashed bananas (fresh or previously frozen)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or simply a chopped up chocolate bar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Grease and flour the cupcake tins (or use cupcake paper liners).
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and wheat bran in a large bowl. Then stir in the chocolate.
- In another bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Then stir in the banana.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix only until just blended! Don’t over mix!
- Pour the batter into the muffin tins and bake on the oven’s middle rack until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Cool the muffins for 5-10 minutes before taking them out of the tins to finish cooling.
These banana muffins are absolutely delicious, and with olive oil and wheat bran… plus the antioxidants of dark chocolate, they might just be considered a healthy breakfast too!
If you enjoyed the recipe, please share it on twitter and facebook below!
Latest posts by Lauren Aloise (see all)
- Chicken in Almond Sauce Recipe (Pollo en Pepitoria) - July 28, 2015
- Catalan Fish Stew (Suquet de Peix Recipe) - July 25, 2015
- 5 Foodie Reasons to Visit Tenerife - July 20, 2015