Fried Eggplant with Honey Recipe

Berenjenas Fritas con Miel

Fried Eggplant and Honey Tapa
Crispy Fried Eggplant with Honey and Crumbled Almonds

I miss the tapas in Seville everyday. No matter what anyone tries to tell me, the tapas culture just isn’t the same here in Madrid! Sure, I know where to find a decent tapa, but I find that they are much more expensive and the good places are usually packed.

There are also some tapas that I just do not see being served here in Madrid. One of them is a favorite of mine, crispy fried eggplant with honey. This tapa is quite popular in Seville and is one of the few vegetarian tapas available. Luckily, it isn’t difficult to make at home. Here is the recipe I learned from my mother-in-law, Antonia.

Fried Eggplant with Honey

5.0 from 1 reviews
Recipe: Fried Eggplant with Honey

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

These delicious fried eggplants with honey are a typical Spanish tapa. Easy to make and even easier to eat, try them today!
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: Spanish
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 2-3 small eggplants
  • Milk
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Flour
  • Olive Oil
  • Honey or molasses
Instructions
  1. Cut the eggplant in round slices or in matchsticks, depending on your preference.
  2. In a large bowl, cover the eggplant with milk and add a pinch of salt. Allow the eggplant to soak for about an hour (this is to draw out any bitterness).
  3. Drain the eggplant and coat the slices in the flour, which you can season with some salt and pepper if desired.
  4. Fry the slices in a deep, heavy pan with abundant olive oil. (Make sure the oil is very hot before adding the slices and fry in batches as to not overcrowd the pan!)
  5. Remove the eggplant and drain on paper towels. Season with a pinch of salt. Drizzle with honey or molasses before serving.

This is only one of the many Spanish tapas recipes I have had to ask Antonia for since moving to Madrid. For me, Andalusia will always be my favorite place in Spain for hearty, homemade tapas. I’m hoping to be able to head north this summer and try Spain’s more innovative, world-renowned tapas too. But for now, I am here in Madrid, testing out  Antonia’s homemade tapas recipes in my tiny kitchen, and enjoying Madrid’s international eateries (like amazing Italian or great Greek) when I go out.

Where have you tried Spanish tapas?

Lauren Aloise

Lauren Aloise

Professional eater, writer, cook, food tour operator. Fascinated by food and its history. Loves: a gooey slice of tortilla, fish markets, homemade cocktails, train travel. Hates: Overhyped restaurants, wine snobs, long menus, mediocrity. Check out my food tours at www.devourspain.com.
Lauren Aloise

Latest posts by Lauren Aloise (see all)

Comments

1. Amanda says

The restaurant Mano a Mano in Lavapies serves this as an appetizer (not tapas), and it’s so good.

2. says

Fantastic! I absolutely love eggplant but would never have thought of having them with honey. I hadn´t a clue they were a popular tapa in Seville. I´ll be making this soon, so thanks!

• Phil Adler says

We just got back from a trip to Spain and has this in Madrid and Barcelona. It really is marvelous, so much so that I has to google the recipe. Try it, you’ll love it !!!!

3. says

Yes, I love all the tapas in Andalucia. I finally made it to Sevilla and loved all the innovative tapas and variety but disappointed they are more expensive than I’m used to in Roquetas. Then again, I live in one of the few regions where tapas come with a drink and are never more than 3 euros. Not many places can compare with the deal here.
    Keep your recipe posts coming!

4. Laura says

I’ve been looking for this recipe since I had it in a fab Tapas bar in Newcastle, England! It was fabulous, so can’t wait to try this recipe out – thanks for posting!

5. Alisha says

One of my favorite tapas I tried in Malaga last Summer! Hoping that making it myself will help with the sting of not being able to go back this summer!

6. Mary says

Has this served as a starter for ‘menu of the day’ in Lubrin Almeria last week, was absolutely wonderful. Cookingas side dish for tonite .

7. Mary Koon says

We were in Cordoba, Spain in Oct. It was recommended that we try this dish as one representative of that area of Spain. When it came to our table, I thought a mistake had been made, because it looked like French fries. But on closer examination, I realized it was indeed the eggplant, cut in iong narrow strips. It was one of the most delicious dishes I have ever had and we quickly devoured it. I have been looking for a recipe ever since and will certainly try it at home.

8. Karon elms says

I tried these in a little bar in La Cala, drizzled with Chestnut honey the dish was the best
    Ordered some honey and going to try it tonight

9. Francey Oscherwitz says

I’m so glad I found your website! I bought pork cheeks on a whim & found your recipe, then discovered the eggplant tapas, which sounds so tasty I’m trying it tonight (with larger eggplants cuz that’s what I have). My daughter & I ate our way through Barcelona & San Sebastian (where I had among other delicacies, the best steak (& mushrooms & tapas….) of my life. How amazing it must be to live in such a food paradise! Thank you! –Francey in Chicago

10. Susan Sung Danelian says

We are just back from Malaga. We were so lucky to have the opportunity to try the fried aubergines as part of a 5 tapas meal because I don’t think we would have ordered it on our own. We did not think we would love it but we did! So much so, that we bought the honey molasses back with us and will be trying this dish out tonight!
    Thank you for your site!

Trackbacks