My favorite olive oil cakes are moist and rich, usually combined with citrus and bursting with flavor. Sometimes I add in fruit like apples or grapes, or top my olive oil cakes with glazes and nuts. This recipe for Spanish olive oil cake is very simple, and uses plain greek yogurt, lemon zest and ground almonds to make it stand out. It makes the perfect merienda or a quick bite for breakfast.
Adapted from the delicious recipe on Food Lover’s Odyssey.
- 1.5 cups of cake flour
- ¼ cup of finely ground almonds (you can pulse raw almonds in the food processor until a powder but not a paste!)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- Zest from two lemons
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Scant 1 cup of full fat unsweetened Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup of Spanish extra virgin olive oil (I used a fragrant hojiblanca)
- Powdered sugar to top the cake
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and then grease and flour a 9½ cake pan.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the flour, ground almonds, salt and baking powder.
- Massage the lemon zest into the sugar by rubbing it with your fingers, allowing the sugar to become infused with the zest's flavor.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sugar and eggs on medium high (I use a hand mixer) for about two minutes (the mixture should have doubled in size and lightened in color).
- Now, whisk in the lemon juice and Greek yogurt on a low speed.
- Finally, add the olive oil by slowly drizzling it in while mixing on low.
- When combined, fold in the flour mixture by hand using a rubber spatula. Stop mixing as soon as everything is combined-- you don't want to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased and floured cake pan and bake about 50 minutes in a preheated (375°F) oven (or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with only a few crumbs).
- Take your cake out of the oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the cake pan. Right before serving dust with powdered sugar.
What do you think? Are you craving this Spanish olive oil cake with lemon and almonds yet?
Latest posts by Lauren Aloise (see all)
- 12 Must Try Foods in Paris – Eat Like a Local in Paris - December 1, 2018
- Spanish Christmas Lamb Recipe – Slow Roasted Lamb with Potatoes and Onions (Cordero con Patatas y Cebolla) - November 28, 2018
- Sherry Spiked Pecan Pie Recipe – The Best Pecan Pie You’ll Try - November 15, 2018