Frisuelos were one of my favorite discoveries during our epic Asturias trip last summer. These Spanish style crepes are typical of northern Spain, where they originate in Asturias and León. We tried them filled with pastry cream for dessert one night, and I was hooked! I decided to make the classic frisuelos recipe here, simply sprinkled with lemon and sugar.
The recipe is adapted from one of my favorite Asturian cooking blogs (in Spanish), La Cucharina Magica.
- 1¾ cups sifted flour (about 200g)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of anís (or another liqueur like cognac, rum, brandy etc. if you prefer-- or skip this altogether to make it alcohol free!)
- Zest from ½ a lemon (or another citrus fruit if you like to experiment)
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons whole milk (about 500ml)
- Beat the eggs and add the sugar, and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Add the liqueur (if using), milk, salt and lemon peel and continue to beat the mixture.
- Add the flour, a little at a time, until the crepe batter is uniform and there aren't any lumps.
- Optionally, you can let the batter rest for an hour, and then strain it to make sure there aren't any lumps.
- Using a paper towel, coat a frying pan with olive oil (just a thin layer).
- Add a very small amount of batter to the hot pan (starting with just two tablespoons). Spread it out to completely cover the pan.
- After about 30 seconds, it should be ready to flip.
- When each frisuelo is cooked, put in on a large plate and sprinkle sugar on top. Layer the frisuelos on top of one another, until you've used up all of the batter!
This recipe can be played around with quite a bit (different liqueurs, different citrus peels, and different fillings). Apart from sugar, some of the most typical fillings are nutella, pastry cream, apple compote, honey or jam. All would be delicious, I’m sure!
What will you fill your frisuelos with?
Latest posts by Lauren Aloise (see all)
- Food Tours in Valencia: Devour Valencia - July 18, 2017
- Excellent Barcelona Winery Tour: Farm-to-Table Wine & Cava Day Trip - June 25, 2017
- Watermelon Mint Gazpacho Recipe: A 10-Minute Summer Recipe - June 17, 2017