One of the most delicious desserts I tasted in Tenerife was a traditional Canarian flan. I have a love-hate relationship with flan– sometimes it’s incredibly rich and creamy, and other times it’s like dry scrambled eggs. But in when I heard that quesillo Canario was a must try dessert in Tenerife, I gave it shot– and I’m so glad that I did!
Canarian flan is made with condensed milk, which ensures that it’s rich and eggy, just like any good flan should be. Luckily, it’s easy to make at home– though I wouldn’t be opposed to going back to Tenerife for another one!
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 2 cups of condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lemon zest from one lemon
- Caramel to coat the pan with (you can also make your own caramel by heating sugar-- see below*)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Beat the eggs really well, and then beat in the condensed milk and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in the whole milk.
- Add the lemon zest and stir.
- Coat a flan pan (any normal baking mold will do) with butter and then with caramel.
- Pour in the egg and milk mixture, and place in a water bath (bain marie) for about 35-50 minutes (the time will depend on the pan you are using-- so after about 35 minutes check frequently).
- When a toothpick inserted into the center of the flan comes out clean, it's ready!
- Let the flan cool completely, then flip over onto a serving dish. Spoon extra caramel sauce on top and enjoy!
*Caramel making tutorial
This Canarian style Spanish flan is a delicious Spanish dessert recipe, that would be perfect for any event. Try it, and let me know what you think!
More Spanish Dessert Recipes
Latest posts by Lauren Aloise (see all)
- 12 Must Try Foods in Paris – Eat Like a Local in Paris - December 1, 2018
- Spanish Christmas Lamb Recipe – Slow Roasted Lamb with Potatoes and Onions (Cordero con Patatas y Cebolla) - November 28, 2018
- Sherry Spiked Pecan Pie Recipe – The Best Pecan Pie You’ll Try - November 15, 2018