I love adding a Spanish twist to classic winter recipes. Up today? Spanish style roasted carrots with cumin and paprika.
One of my favorite Spanish vegetable recipes for summer is zanahorias aliñadas. These pickled carrots are smothered in garlic and cumin and then drizzled with the best quality extra virgin olive oil. They are a true delight on a hot day. But what would happen if I used the same ingredients to make warm roasted carrots — the perfect recipe for a Spanish inspired Thanksgiving side?
People may think of Spain as blue skies and sunshine, but fall and winter in Madrid (and all of northern Spain) is quite cold! It’s the perfect time to load up on fruits and veggies at the market and put your oven to good use.
I decided to use my favorite summer recipe to inspire this very winter one. The result? Delicious Spanish style roasted carrots with cumin and paprika. This would be a great dish to add some spice to your Thanksgiving or Christmas meal.
Roasted Carrots with Cumin and Paprika
- 1 pound (about ½ a kilo) of carrots (washed, peeled and cut into ¼ inch rounds)
- 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds*
- 1 teaspoon of smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 head of garlic (separate the cloves but keep the skin on)
- Salt and pepper
- *whole cumin seeds are preferred but if ground cumin is all you have, use a ½ Tablespoon
- Peel and cut the carrots and put into a large bowl along with the whole garlic cloves (skin on)
- Add the olive oil and spices and mix well
- Pour onto a baking sheet (cover with foil for a quick clean up!)
- Roast at 425°F (220°C) for 25-30 minutes, stopping once to stir halfway through
What do you think? Will these Spanish style roasted carrots with cumin and paprika grace your table this holiday season? Let me know how they taste!
Latest posts by Lauren Aloise (see all)
- 12 Must Try Foods in Paris – Eat Like a Local in Paris - December 1, 2018
- Spanish Christmas Lamb Recipe – Slow Roasted Lamb with Potatoes and Onions (Cordero con Patatas y Cebolla) - November 28, 2018
- Sherry Spiked Pecan Pie Recipe – The Best Pecan Pie You’ll Try - November 15, 2018