Feeling Down? Hot Wine to the Rescue!
There’s nothing like a piping hot glass of mulled wine to beat the cold on a bitter December evening. I’m especially looking forward to one tonight, since the sun has barely poked out over the past few days here in Madrid (a rarity I’m assured) and I’ve been feeling anxious to get back to the US for Christmas. I want to have a cookie baking marathon, hug my family, play games with my niece and feel the “Christmas Spirit” AKA marketing ploys that we Americans are surrounded with around these dates.
But for now I’ll have to make due with a batch of cookies I made the other day and a glass of steamy red wine. It’s not so bad actually…!
Based on Jamie Oliver’s Recipe (but adapted to what I had in the house)!
- 1 Clementine
- 4 strips of lemon peel
- 4 strips of clementine peel
- 6 heaping spoons of sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, halved
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 bottle of red wine
- A shot of rum or brandy (optional)
- Squeeze the clementine juice into a saucepan and add the sugar and citrus peels.
- Add the spices and bring the mixture to a boil, constantly stirring.
- As soon as it boils add 1/2 cup of red wine. Allow it to simmer slowly until it is reduced to a carmel-like syrup.
- Add the rest of the bottle of wine, cover, and as soon as it is warm, serve. Don’t boil unless you want it to be sin alcohol (non-alcoholic)!
- If you want an extra kick add a shot or rum or brandy (I added a shot of Brugal I’d been infusing with vanilla beans)
- Drink and feel the warmth!
Latest posts by Lauren Aloise (see all)
- 13 Must Try Foods in Lisbon – Eat Like a Local in Lisbon - February 14, 2019
- An Insider’s Guide to Where to Stay in Seville – The Best Hotels & Neighborhoods - January 29, 2019
- 12 Must Try Foods in Rome – Eat Like a Local in Rome - January 26, 2019