This blog post was originally posted on December 16th, 2015 and was updated on October 31st, 2017
Wherever you look in Malaga during the festive season it seems there is a new sweet treat to tempt you.
One of our favorite are the chocolate coconut balls (bolitas de coco). Of course, you can buy them in the store, wrapped in brightly colored tin foil, but it’s just as easy to make them at home!
Photo Credit: Arria Belli
When we were growing up, one of our favorite holiday traditions was always making Christmas cookies with our families. We’d roll out the dough, cut the sugar cookies into the shapes of reindeer and angels, and then bake them until they came out golden brown.
The best part was always putting colored icing on the cookies and decorating them with sprinkles. Of course, as we got older, things didn’t change much. We still love holiday sweets and baking this time of year.
Making Chocolate Coconut Balls is one of the easier holiday recipes we enjoy, and this particular sweet is very popular in Malaga. If you like coconut, it’s a treat that’s sure to please. Our favorite part? Not a lot of ingredients, no oven required and you can have fun rolling the coconut into what look like little miniature snowballs!
- 150 grams shredded coconut
- 1 can (170g) condensed milk
- 250 grams white or milk chocolate chips
- small cupcake wrappers for the coconut balls
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler
- Add in the condensed milk
- Stir in 100 grams of the shredded coconut, set the rest aside for later.
- Leave the mixture in the refrigerator until the paste thickens (approx. 30 minutes)
- Roll the coconut and chocolate mixture into little balls.
- Cover the balls with the left over shredded coconut.
- Place in cupcake wrappers for storage.
Have you tried Coconut Balls (Bolitas de Coco) in Malaga? Does your family make a similar recipe? Let us know if you try this one out and how your friends and family liked them! If after trying these sweets you want to know more about the delicious food from Malaga, come join us for one of our Devour Tasty Food Tours! They run Monday to Saturday during the day and night!