Beautiful, historic Granada is full of fun for the whole family, and makes for a trip that everyone will remember for years to come. The city’s central location in Andalusia; warm, Mediterranean climate and friendly locals make it the perfect spot for a family trip, and kids as well as adults will love immersing themselves in colorful Spanish culture. Here’s how to plan the perfect family holiday in Granada and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Guide to Planning the Perfect Family Holiday in Granada
When to go
Granada is beautiful year round, but we suggest visiting in spring or fall for a more enjoyable experience. These times just miss busy summer high season, so you won’t be fighting off nearly as many crowds. Spring is an especially perfect time for a family holiday in Granada, as you can see the beautiful Alhambra gardens in full bloom!
Another ideal season is winter. While it does get quite chilly and you might even see some snow, Granada takes on an absolutely magical sensation around the winter holidays. It’s also a great time to hit the slopes as a family—the world famous Sierra Nevada ski resort is just a stone’s throw away!
See Also: Perfect your planning with the complete guide to when to visit the Alhambra.
Buying tickets and passes
A key element to any successful family holiday in Granada is the Granada Card. This handy tourist pass gets you into dozens of the city’s main sights and attractions, including the Alhambra, at no additional cost. A special Kids Granada Card is also available and includes admission to the same sites as the standard adult card.
If you decide to purchase Alhambra tickets separately, remember that you must buy them in advance. The most popular part of the monument, the Nasrid Palaces, often sells out weeks ahead of time. Buying your tickets before you go will ensure you get a chance to experience this spectacular palace!
See Also: Where to Buy Alhambra Tickets
Where to stay
A key part of ensuring you have the best family holiday in Granada is booking a hotel where everyone can kick back and relax! Luckily, there are lots of kid-friendly hotels in Granada.
- Hotel Alhambra Palace: The beautiful Moorish architecture and stunning panoramic views make this a favorite! It’s close to the Alhambra and offers many amenities for families.
Address: Plaza Arquitecto García de Paredes, 1
- Granada Five Senses Rooms and Suites: Located just steps away from the cathedral, this beautiful hotel offers special family suites and a sunny outdoor pool.
Address: Calle Gran Vía de Colón, 25
- AC Palacio de Santa Paula: Housed in a historic 14th-century building with a peaceful patio courtyard. Relax in a specially designed family room and take advantage of the babysitting services when you need time to yourself.
Address: Calle Gran Vía de Colón, 31
- Los Angeles Hotel: You’ll find this hotel in a quiet residential neighborhood that’s a 15-minute walk from the city center. Little ones will love splashing around in the special kids’ pool while Mom and Dad enjoy the jacuzzi!
Address: Cuesta Escoriaza,17
What to do
A family holiday in Granada wouldn’t be complete without some kid-friendly activities! Here are some of our favorites.
- Parque de las Ciencias: Get hands-on with science! Kids won’t even realize they’re learning as they play with the interactive exhibits.
Address: Avenida de la Ciencia, s/n
- Parque Federico García Lorca: Kids love the playground in this peaceful park, where they can also feed the ducks and run through the gardens!
Address: Calle Virgen Blanca, s/n
- Centro Comercial Serrallo Plaza: This all-in-one mall, movie theater and amusement park is a favorite with local kids. Yours will love it, too!
Address: Paseo Lagunas de Cameros, 1