Winter in Spain never ceases to impress. The bounty of fruits and vegetables available in the local markets is incredible; winter is far from barren in Spain. From pomegranates to cabbage, I linger over ripening persimmons and buy walnuts by the bagful on my frequent visits to the Mercado Barceló. It was after one of my recent market trips that I created one of my favorite breakfast tostas ever– an avocado toast with a Spanish twist!
I’d seen online that toast with avocado (apparently called avocado toast by the cool kids) had become a major thing in the US. And our recent visit to New York City proved it true. It was everywhere, always beckoning, and always expensive.
We finally fell to temptation at a gorgeous Australian-owned café near Central Park. I had a doughnut shop on the list for our next stop, so we decided to split an avocado toast with a poached egg on top with a couple of coffees. The toast alone cost $10– plus $3 more for the egg. After tax and tip, we’d spent about $20 just on the toast– and immediately confirmed why we choose to live in Spain!
My avocado toast is just as delicious, and I promise you it won’t cost $20!
Spanish Inspired Avocado Toast Recipe
- 2 large slices of sourdough bread or any other type of delicious bread
- 1 ripe avocado
- Fresh walnuts
- Pomegranate seeds
- Raw honey
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Maldon salt
- Lightly mash the avocado and spread atop the toasted bread.
- Top with a couple of walnuts, broken in half if possible.
- Sprinkle on some pomegranate seeds.
- Drizzle honey and olive oil (just a bit) on top. Make sure it's great quality EVOO, otherwise skip it.
- Sprinkle Maldon salt (or similar) on top and enjoy!
This easy recipe for avocado toast is truly delicious and filled with superfoods (pomegranate seeds, walnuts, avocados, honey and extra virgin olive oil). I’d eat it every day!