Cod and Potato Stew
This delicious cod and potato stew is easy to prepare and perfect for a meatless meal.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 leek diced
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 lb dried salt cod desalinated (you can buy any part of the cod, but for maximum flavor go for the lesser cuts (not the loin).
- 4 medium red potatoes peeled and rinsed and then cut into wedges
- 1 cup homemade shrimp stock can substitute store bought if necessary
- Approximately 2 cups of water
To make the shrimp stock
The shrimp stock is easy to make if you have about 20 shrimp shells (heads included) handy. Put them into a large baking dish and cover with aromatic vegetables (onion, leek, celery, bay leaf, etc.) and a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste. Cover with cold water and roast in a 300°F oven for about three hours, covered in foil.
To make the stew
Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan and when hot (but not smoking) add the diced onion and leek and sauté over a medium heat for about five minutes.
Add the rosemary and the chopped desalinated salt cod and sauté for another five minutes.
Add the potato wedges and cover with 1/2 cup shrimp stock and two cups of water (or enough water to cover the potatoes and cod).
Bring to a slow boil and then lower to a light simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and serve piping hot. Watch out for small bones when eating.
Calories: 624.97kcalCarbohydrates: 40.37gProtein: 75.9gFat: 16.59gSaturated Fat: 2.49gCholesterol: 172.37mgSodium: 8247.66mgPotassium: 2702.69mgFiber: 4.49gSugar: 5.28gVitamin A: 669.71IUVitamin C: 26.99mgCalcium: 222.19mgIron: 4.99mg