How to Empadronarse in Madrid

What is Empadronamiento?


Formulario de Empadronamiento

It sounds like a long, scary word but empadronamiento is actually a really easy process that you can do quickly and efficiently (believe it or not!). Basically, here in Spain the ayuntamiento (town hall) uses the system of empadronamiento as a way of registering the number of inhabitants that live in a specific geographic area. People are expected to register their new address each time they move. The point of this Registation System is to be able to better distribute tax money and government funds based on population. But there are also many benefits to being registered and many legal processes require proof of registration (el certificado de empadronamiento).

It is important to point out that everyone can and should register regardless of their legal status in Spain. It’s confidential information only used to keep an accurate register—don’t be afraid!

Why Should You Empadronarse?

Some good reasons:

  • It proves you’ve been living in Spain which can help you get your residency or immigration papers faster and easier.
  • You will need it to get a card for the healthcare system.
  • It is necessary to get married.
  • You’ll need it to get your driver’s license.
  • It is required to sign your children up for school.

How to Empadronarse in Madrid

Each region has a slightly different process, but in general they are quite similar. In Madrid the process is particularly easy.

Madrid is divided in 21 districts and each one has its own Junta (administrative office) but  it is actually the OAC (oficina de Atención al Ciudadano) that deals with this process. You can go to any OAC office to register (it doesn’t have to be the one in your district).

To make matters easier, the OAC offers the possibility to do many of the processes directly online. On the townhall’s website, Ayuntamiento de Madrid, you can make your appointment, download the form you will need to fill out, and later you can even download proof of registration (el volante de empadronamiento).

To register in Madrid you need to complete this form, which you can either download or ask for at any OAC office. (If downloading you just need to enter the postal code for your district). It will ask for your basic information (full name, ID document number, birth date, level of studies, and signature). Up to four family members can register on the same form.

In addition to the form you must present your original ID (which can be a passport, NIE, or DNI). For small children you should present the libro de familia. You will also need the original copy of your renter’s contract. You should bring photocopies of everything although they don’t always require them.

You Need:

To make an appointment you can:

  • Request one at the website Munimadrid (Just click Pedir Cita Previa)
  • Go in person to any OAC office
  • Call 010 (or 915298210 if you are calling from outside of Madrid)

The best option is the website because you can see the locations of the different offices and choose a time slot that works for you. Depending on the neighborhood it may be more difficult to get a quick appointment.

Usually the time slots are scheduled at 10 minute intervals within their hours of operation (Monday to Thursday 9-5 and Fridays 9-2). Of course the best times to go are during Spanish lunch hours (between 3 and 5).

I found it very easy to register in my own district (Retiro). I made an appointment a few days prior, went ten minutes early and was helped right away. The woman took my documents, and before I knew it I had my Volante de Empadronamiento. It was my first (and hopefully not my last) experience with efficiency in Spain!

If you have any questions please leave them in the comments and I’ll do my best to answer them.


Viviendo Madrid


Spain Expat

If you found this post helpful you can also help me by:

1. Clicking the little Like button below
2. Subscribing to Spanish Sabores
3. Leaving me a comment to let me know!

Lauren Aloise
Follow me!

Lauren Aloise

Professional eater, writer, cook, food tour operator. Fascinated by food and its history. Loves: a gooey slice of tortilla, fish markets, homemade cocktails, train travel. Hates: Overhyped restaurants, wine snobs, long menus, mediocrity. Check out my food tours at
Lauren Aloise
Follow me!

Latest posts by Lauren Aloise (see all)


  1. says

    Thanks for this informative post. I recently went to the library to get a library card and they asked if I had this. I didn’t have any idea what it was but they said, I probably didn’t and just bring in the other documents they asked for. Now I know. I’ve been meaning to look up the word but this is a much better explanation.

  2. Lisette Miranda says

    This was sooo helpful. I am sharing it with all Americans here who are here legal and need to do this. Feel free to do one on getting a social security number, NIE process, renewal of NIE process or authorization to return into the country while waiting for the NIE… there is just so much English speakers could have direction on 😉 Thanks again! bss

    • Toni says

      I see that these posts are bit old, but wanted to share with you that, I wrote some months ago the process of renewing the NIE for a non Spaniard married with a Spaniard, what was a bit unclear at the beginning:

      Hope it helps somebody!! (even it is a particular case)

  3. Trisha says

    Can I ask is there any cost involved in this process? I have booked my appointment but was wondering if I need to bring along money or a bank draft or anything?

  4. Patrice says

    Hi Lauren, thanks for the post! I’ll be moving to Madrid this month to work as a language assistant and an au pair. Since I won’t have a lease to show, do you know if a letter from the family would be acceptable for the empadronamiento? Thanks!

  5. Asim says

    Hello Lauren,

    Indeed it is great effort and beautifully explained the process. My question is,

    1) if a Non-European citizen get EMPADRONAMIENTO and he/she is on visit visa which will be expired within month or two, will the person allow to stay in Spain?
    2) A Non-European Citizen after Empadronmiento can apply for the Residence and within or after how many months?
    3) After Empadronmiento, a non-European citizen can do work in Spain?

    Many thanks and Regards,

    • says

      Hi Asim– I’m afraid I don’t know the answers to your questions, however I believe that empadronamiento is simply registering yourself for the city census and has nothing to do with residency proceedings. Best of luck!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *