This blog post was originally posted on April 4th, 2016 and was updated on July 14th, 2017
Malaga Salad Recipe (Ensalada Malagueña)
Photo Credit: Our Photo
Normally in Spain when people talk about potato salad, they think of “Russian Salad” (which is similar to what we make in the States with mayonnaise, potatoes and possibly some olives, diced celery or carrots). In Malaga, however, we have a different kind of potato salad. It is also made with potato, but we add salt cod, olives, and oranges to the mix.
It might sound a bit odd to make a salad with fish, oranges and potatoes, but the result is delicious and a perfect choice now that the weather is warming up! The best part (in our eyes) is that it is very easy to make and you can prepare it ahead of time, so it’s the perfect starter! Pair it with some fried fish and you will have a typical Malaga lunch.
- 300 g (10.5 oz) salt cod
- 1 kg (2 lbs) potatoes, peeled and cut into medium size pieces
- 4 oranges, peeled, pitted and cut into wedges
- green olives (to taste) pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 hard boiled eggs cut into pieces
- 1 onion (diced)
- Olive oil
- Soak the salt cod for about 24 hours (depending on its thickness)
- Once desalinated, dry the cod using paper towel and carefully remove any of the skin or bones
- wash and peel the potatoes and put them into a large pot covered with water
- Cook over high heat and add a tablespoon of sea salt right when the water boils
- Allow the potatoes to boil (about 20-25 minutes)
- When the potatoes are halfway done, hard boil 4 eggs (10 minutes)
- When cool, cut both the potatoes and eggs into bite sized pieces
- In a large bowl, mix together potatoes, eggs, onion, orange slices, olives and salt cod
- Dress with olive oil, sherry vinegar and sea salt to taste (* be careful here, as the cod itself is salty, so you may not need to add salt depending on your preferences!)
Have you ever tried Malaga Salad? What did you think? Let us know in the comments section. Also, if you would like to find out about more great Spanish food, join us on a Food Tour in the city center of Malaga!