Today David shares a delicious recipe for Spanish chicken and rice with chorizo. It’s a great weeknight dish that comes together quickly!
What’s not to love about one-pan meals?
They’re easy to cook, easy to clean, and even easier to eat! And this dish of chicken, chorizo, and rice is no exception, loaded up with flavor but super simple to prepare.
Chicken is one of those meats that everyone has eaten countless times in their life. But just when I thought I had tried every possible version of a simple chicken dinner, I stumbled across this amazing dish.
It’s not just that the chicken is cooked to juicy perfection, or that the chorizo and Spanish spice rub give the meal a warm and cozy flavor, it’s also the delicious rice! Cooking the rice in the pan along with the chorizo and spices imparts a full, meaty flavor to the rice—it’s not a side dish, it’s the main event!
Spanish Chicken and Rice with Chorizo
- 1½ cups medium grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons of good quality olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs, on the bone
- 300 grams of fresh/semi-cured chorizo, roughly chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup of peas
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- ½ cup of torn cilantro leaves, to serve.
- 2 teaspoons Spanish paprika/pimentón
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- In a large bowl, cover the rice with water. Soak for 15 minutes and then drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the different ingredients for the spice mix. Pat the chicken try with a paper towel, and then rub the spice mix in. Make sure to get some under the skin!
- In a deep skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and deeply brown on all sides (roughly 2 minutes per side). Remove the chicken from the pan and put on a plate to one side (it won't be fully cooked at this point).
- In the same pan, add the chorizo. Fry for 8-10 minutes, or until chorizo is golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the green pepper and onion, and fry for another 5 minutes before adding the garlic, tomato, tomato paste, peas and bay leaves. Cook for another 2 minutes, until the garlic is aromatic.
- Add the rice to the pan, and then place the chicken on top. Pour in the chicken broth, and bring the pan to the boil.
- Lower the heat to medium, and leave to simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed by the rice and the chicken is cooked through.
- Take the pan off the heat, and leave covered for 10 mins to allow the chicken and rice to rest. Serve hot, garnished with lemon and fresh cilantro.
What’s your favorite Spanish rice dish? Tell me in the comments below!