One of my go-to comfort foods is this delicious Spanish chicken with mushrooms dish. Today, David shares his version of this classic Spanish recipe.
There's something so nourishing about chicken dinners. It's not just that chicken is delicious and easy to prepare—there's more to it than that. It's like, aside from feeding my stomach, a homemade chicken dinner also feeds my soul!
And this Spanish chicken and mushrooms recipe is no exception. It's a great way to spice up your midweek meal plan, without adding to your prep time.
The greatest thing about this recipe is that it only uses one pan. I'm a big believer in cutting down the number of different pots, pans, and utensils used in recipes, because who can be bothered with all that washing up?! Plus, by cooking everything together, you intensify all of the flavors inside the pan.
Now, the second greatest thing about this recipe is that it doesn't use any cream. Most chicken and mushroom dishes have a big whack of cooking cream in there to make a sauce, which (although delicious) is just a bit too unhealthy to satisfy me during the middle of the week.
Spanish cuisine doesn't use much cream or butter at all, making this dish as healthy as it is tasty! Instead of cream, the sauce for this recipe comes from a combination of reduced white wine and chicken stock, so it's a bit lighter than other similar dishes.
This Spanish-style chicken and mushroom dish is tasty, easy, and only needs one pan!
How to Make this Recipe
To make this dish, you'll need a lidded cast-iron skillet or pot large enough to fit the four chicken thighs without overcrowding. Start by searing the chicken until brown on all sides, and then cook the mushrooms together with thyme and white wine (Spanish dry sherry, like Fino, is best but any dry white wine will do) in the same pot.
You'll finish the dish by cooking onion and garlic, together with that unmistakeable smoky Spanish paprika, and then simmering the chicken, mushrooms, and everything else with some chicken stock until cooked and saucy. You can serve it by itself, with roast potatoes, or just with some rustic hunks of bread!
My Spanish Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe
Spanish-Style Chicken with Mushrooms Recipe - "Pollo con Champiñones"
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs skin on
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound button or portobello mushrooms cleaned (and halved if portobellos)
- ⅔ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 yellow onion finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- Fresh parsley to serve
- To prepare the chicken thighs, first season with salt and ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Place a large cast-iron pot or skillet (make sure it's one with a lid) over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, sear the chicken thighs evenly on both sides (starting skin-side down) until golden brown - about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from pot and set aside on a plate for now.
- Return the pot to the heat and add the mushrooms. Gently toss to coat in oil, and then add the white wine and thyme leaves. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to medium, and leave to cook for 5 minutes.
- When the wine has reduced, return the heat to medium-high. Add the onions to the pot and saute until soft and translucent (about 4 minutes). Add the garlic, paprika, and a pinch of salt and stir to combine. Saute for another minute.
- Reduce heat to medium. Return the chicken thighs to the pot and pour in the chicken stock, covering the pot with a lid. Leave to simmer for 18-20 mins and the chicken is cooked through. (You can add some more stock or water to the pot if it gets too dry).
- Serve straight away, garnished with fresh parsley.
More Spanish chicken recipes
- Antonia's chicken with white wine and garlic sauce
- Chicken and chorizo stew recipe
- Easy chicken milanesa
- Spanish chicken with rice
- Chicken with tomato sauce recipe
- Chicken in almond sauce (pollo en pepitoria)
- Chicken chilindron
What do you think of my Spanish chicken with mushrooms dish? You can also check out my other Spanish chicken recipes above!