Try this traditional pollo en salsa recipe for a quick and easy chicken recipe that everyone will love.
One of my favorite simple Spanish chicken dishes is this chicken in white wine and garlic sauce. In Spain, we simply call it pollo en salsa— chicken in sauce. And the sauce is what really makes this dish shine. A blend of olive oil, sauteed garlic, chicken stock and white wine, this is a sauce that you won’t want to waste a drop of.
My mother-in-law first made me this recipe after my twins were born. I was home from the hospital and absolutely starving at all times (feeding twins does that to you!). I fell in love at first bite. She serves this dish with homemade fried potatoes, but you could serve it with rice, pasta or mashed potatoes too.
Spanish Chicken in White Wine and Garlic Sauce Recipe
- 1 lb thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock (or 1 stock cube and 1 cup water)
- ¾ cup white wine
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and season with salt and pepper
- Separate the cloves from one head of garlic (but don't peel!)
- Smash each garlic clove with the back of a knife (you wan't them to be bruised but not fully out of the skin)
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat
- Sear the chicken breasts on both sides (in batches) and remove from the heat
- Once all are seared add the smashed garlic cloves to the oil and sauté for about five minutes or until the skin is golden brown
- Remove the garlic cloves and take the roasted garlic out of its skin
- Puree the garlic and chicken stock with an immersion blender (or simply mash the garlic with the back of a fork and whisk in the stock)
- Add the chicken back to the pan and cover with the garlic and stock mixture along with the white wine and bay leaves
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, covered
- Uncover and simmer for five more minutes
- Turn off the heat and let the chicken sit for about five minutes before serving
What do you think? Are you a garlic lover? Then you must try this Spanish chicken in white wine and garlic sauce recipe soon!