This delicious tapas recipe for fried goat cheese with honey and almonds is one of my favorite party tricks. Everyone loves it and people always request the recipe! For an easy and impressive goat cheese and honey combination, you're in the right place!
There are some combinations that just plain work. And this fried goat cheese with honey is one of them.
I was reading Claudia Roden's Spanish cookbook and my eyes flew straight to her recipe for fried goat cheese with honey. It looked simple and delicious-- the perfect snack. But there was just one problem-- the first ingredient.
Matzo meal? I'd never heard of it!
A quick Google search told me all I needed to know, but I didn't need Google to tell me that finding it would be next to impossible at the last minute on a Sunday afternoon in Spain. So I improvised-- and without having tried Claudia's version, I have to say that I like mine better!
Instead of the matzo meal, I used ground almonds and crushed butter crackers (like Ritz in the US or TUC in Spain). It made the perfect coating and added a nuttiness to the cheese that was out of this world!
The best part? You can prepare my almond-crusted fried goat cheese with honey recipe in only 10 minutes.
And you can even bread the cheese ahead of time and simply fry it up at the last minute, which makes it the perfect Spanish appetizer.
More Spanish Tapas
If you love the idea of this delicious and easy tapa, why not try a few others and make a meal of it?
- Serrano ham croquettes
- Fried eggplant with honey
- Best Spanish tortilla
- Goat cheese & caramelized onion pintxo
- Bacon wrapped dates recipe
- Chorizo al vino tinto
Hungry for more? Sign up for my free weekly newsletter and receive a new Spanish recipe once a week! Join today and get my FREE Spanish ingredient essentials guide!
Fried Goat Cheese with Honey
- ½ cup of crushed or ground almonds I used raw Marcona almonds and put them in a Ziploc bag and then crushed them with a meat tenderizer-- improvisation for a broken food processor!
- 5 Ritz crackers or any other butter cracker, crushed
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 slices of firm goat cheese don't use soft chevre for this, about ⅓ inch thick
- Olive oil for frying
- Floral honey I used orange blossom honey
- Crush the almonds and crackers using a food processor (or by hand -- I put them in a heavy ziploc bag and crush with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin), mix together and then spread on a plate.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks in a wide bowl.
- Coat each slice of cheese in the egg yolks, making sure the entire slice is covered.
- Coat in the almond/cracker breading-- again, make sure all parts of the cheese are equally covered.
- Heat the oil to medium high (but don't let it smoke) and fry the cheese until golden brown on each side, flipping carefully with a spatula after about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Let them rest on paper towels for a minute and then serve right away topped with your favorite honey.
What do you think? Will you be trying this easy fried goat cheese with honey recipe soon? Let me know how it turns out!