Feeling down? Hot wine to the rescue! From a cold remedy to a winter warm-up, this hot wine recipe is a classic elixir for success.
There’s nothing like a piping hot glass of mulled wine to beat the cold on a bitter December evening.
Hot wine isn’t super popular in Spain (probably because in much of the country our winters are mild) but you do find it at winter fairs.
I decided to try out a new hot wine recipe last week, and it paired perfectly with a batch of cookies I made. There is no better way to get comfort during the cold winter days!
Based on Jamie Oliver’s Recipe (but adapted to what I had in the house)!
More Spanish Wine Cocktails
Hot Wine Recipe
- 1 Clementine
- 4 strips of lemon peel
- 4 strips of clementine peel
- 6 heaping spoons of sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean halved
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 bottle of red wine
- A shot of rum or brandy optional
- Squeeze the clementine juice into a saucepan and add the sugar and citrus peels.
- Add the spices and bring the mixture to a boil, constantly stirring.
- As soon as it boils add 1/2 cup of red wine. Allow it to simmer slowly until it is reduced to a carmel-like syrup.
- Add the rest of the bottle of wine, cover, and as soon as it is warm, serve. Don’t boil unless you want it to be sin alcohol (non-alcoholic)!
- If you want an extra kick add a shot or rum or brandy (I added a shot of Brugal I’d been infusing with vanilla beans)
- Drink and feel the warmth!
This is basically the recipe for surviving the winter, dealing with homesickness, getting over a bad day… you name it! I’m not responsible for what happens after you drink it!
Have you tried this hot wine recipe? I hope you enjoyed!
This is good but confusing, boil wine add honey stir drink hot get under blankets sleep sweat it out wake up feel better
Thanks for posting this recipe! I wanted to cook up a pot for my Spanish housemate’s 30th this weekend as he’s never tried it before and I thought it would be the perfect antidote for the chilly weather! I’m also having a spanish supermarket wine face-off in the near future and I need suggestions! Would be grateful for your contribution 🙂
Oh my gosh!! I will definitely have to try this, I fell seriously in love with mulled wine when I lived in France! Thanks for the recipe!
Try it!It’s easy and delicious… and a little dangerous lol! I’ll bet it’s amazing in France during the cold winter!
Wow! It seems to be the cure of all woes! I´ve never actually had hot wine – I was probably alway too impatient and just had it as was – but I´d love to try this. I´m afraid I´d need to omit the cinammon (cinnamon?) as it brings me out in blotches but the rest looks great. I´m sure it´s really comforting so I´ll follow your recipe – or Jamie´s – and snuggle up with los míos for Christmas!
This sounds amazing (and easy – which is important for me haha)! I can’t wait to try it over the cold winter break coming up 🙂