Today I share my mother-in-law’s apple olive oil cake recipe. This is one of my favorite afternoon snacks (meriendas) when visiting her. The delicate cake and tart apple flavor make the perfect combination.
The first time I tried this delicious Spanish apple olive oil cake was when I was actually quite sick. It was many years ago and I had a bad case of the flu. I barely knew my mother-in-law at the time (my husband and I had just started dating), but since he had to work long days I went to stay with my in-laws and Antonia nursed me back to health!
One of the first things I could eat was this apple olive oil cake. It was actually brought over by my mother-in-law’s best friend– but since then we’ve made the recipe our own!
The best thing about this apple olive oil cake recipe is how simple and quick it is to make. Most likely you already have the ingredients on hand. My addition to this cake is a cinnamon crumb. You can easily omit it if you’d like a lighter cake, but I love the flavor and texture it adds.
I’d recommend using a good quality extra virgin olive oil for this recipe. The more delicious the olive oil, the more delicious the cake! Choose a fruity and nutty olive oil rather than something grassy and spicy.
Read more: All About Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Spanish Apple Olive Oil Cake Recipe
- 1.5 cups of cake flour
- ¼ cup of spelt flour (optional - if not just add another ¼ cup of all purpose flour)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar
- ¼ cup honey (optional - if not just add another ¼ cup of granulated sugar)
- 3 large eggs
- Scant 1 cup of full-fat unsweetened Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup of Spanish extra virgin olive oil (I used a fragrant hojiblanca)
- 1 large green apple, diced small (I use green apples, but you can sub your favorite)
- Powdered sugar to top the cake (unless making the crumb below)
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and then grease and flour a 9½ cake pan.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the flour, spelt flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sugar, honey, and eggs on medium-high speed with a hand mixer for about two minutes.
- Now, whisk in the Greek yogurt on low speed.
- Finally, add the olive oil by slowly drizzling it in while mixing on low.
- When combined, fold in the flour mixture by hand using a rubber spatula. Stop mixing as soon as everything is combined-- you don't want to over mix.
- Fold in the diced apple just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the greased and floured cake pan.
- For the crumb, in a small bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Add the room temperature butter and mash with the back of a fork. You want to make a chunky paste with plenty of crumbs.
- Cover the cake with this mixture.
- Bake about 50 minutes in a preheated (375°F) oven (or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with only a few crumbs).
- Take your cake out of the oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the cake pan. Right before serving dust with powdered sugar (unless you used the crumb topping, in which case the additional sugar isn't necessary!)
What do you think? Will you be trying my apple olive oil cake recipe sometime soon? It’s too easy not to give it a go!
More delicious Spanish cake recipes: