My favorite summer cake recipe, this Spanish olive oil cake with lemon and almonds is easy and delicious. A good lemon olive oil cake is perfectly moist and packed with lemon flavor — this one is all those things. And it takes less than an hour to make!
My favorite olive oil cakes are moist and rich, usually combined with citrus and bursting with flavor.
Sometimes I add in fruit like apples or grapes or top my olive oil cakes with glazes and nuts.
This recipe for Spanish lemon olive oil cake is very simple and uses plain Greek yogurt, lemon zest, and ground almonds to make it stand out. It makes the perfect merienda or a quick bite for breakfast.
Key Ingredients & Substitutions
- Lemon: The lemon flavor in this cake is intense and delicious! This is due to using both lemon zest and juice in the recipe. Feel free to experiment with other citrus fruits (orange is lovely) but I prefer the classic lemon every day.
- Olive Oil: This is the key to this cakes amazing texture and flavor. Use the best olive oil you can get — and look for a fruity variety, such as the Spanish hojiblanca or arbequina.
- Flour: I call for cake flour as I think it takes this recipe up a notch, but all-purpose will do fine. Read about the differences here.
- Almonds: I use a portion of ground almonds (also called almond meal or almond flour) in this cake. You can substitute for hazelnut or even walnuts — or just use more flour and omit.
More Delicious Spanish Cakes
Spanish Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- 1.5 cups cake flour (180 g) (all-purpose flour can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup finely ground almonds (30 g) (you can pulse raw almonds in the food processor until a powder but not a paste, or buy almond meal or almond flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (1 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10 g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 g)
- Zest from two lemons
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (60 ml)
- Scant 1 cup approx. 220ml of full fat unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup Spanish extra virgin olive oil (160 ml) (I used a fragrant hojiblanca)
- Powdered sugar to top the cake
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and then grease and flour a 9 1/2 inch cake pan.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the flour, ground almonds, salt and baking powder.
- Massage the lemon zest into the sugar by rubbing it with your fingers, allowing the sugar to become infused with the zest’s flavor.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sugar and eggs on medium high (I use a hand mixer) for about two minutes (the mixture should have doubled in size and lightened in color).
- Now, whisk in the lemon juice and Greek yogurt on a low speed.
- Finally, add the olive oil by slowly drizzling it in while mixing on low.
- When combined, fold in the flour mixture by hand using a rubber spatula. Stop mixing as soon as everything is combined– you don’t want to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased and floured cake pan and bake about 50 minutes in a preheated (375°F) oven (or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with only a few crumbs).
- Take your cake out of the oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the cake pan. Right before serving dust with powdered sugar.
What do you think? Are you a fan of this fruity lemon olive oil cake?