I am pro gazpacho in any form, from my mother-in-law's traditional Andalusian recipe to David's refreshing melon gazpacho he shares today.
I pity people who go all summer long without eating gazpacho. This cold Spanish soup is a summertime lifesaver, and every abuela has her own favorite recipe!
The classic gazpacho is the Spanish version of V8 juice. It's a mix of different summer veggies like tomato, green pepper, cucumber, along with a whack of garlic and sherry vinegar. But the best thing about gazpacho? Its versatility.
There are so many things you can do to customize your gazpacho! Strawberry gazpacho, blackberry, watermelon... the list goes on. But my favorite has to be this simple melon gazpacho recipe. It packs all of the goodness of the classic, along with the subtle and refreshing sweetness of cantaloupe.
Summer Cantaloupe Melon Gazpacho Recipe
In Spain, gazpacho is served as a drink, rather than a soup. But I prefer this melon gazpacho served in bowls and topped with a few different garnishes to make an appetizer or light lunch! Like all Spanish food, it's best topped with Spanish ham (I opt for taquitos, small chunks of diced ham). If you can't find any Iberian ham, feel free to sub in prosciutto instead.
Cantaloupe Melon Gazpacho Recipe
Delicious Melon Gazpacho Recipe
- 1 medium cantaloupe melon seeded and chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes peeled and cored
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small cucumber finely diced
- ½ small red onion finely diced
- 1 cup Iberian ham "taquitos"
- Place the cantaloupe melon, roma tomatoes, and garlic in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Continue blending, and slowly add the olive oil and vinegar until combined.
- Taste, and season with salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Before serving, top each bowl of gazpacho with diced cucumber, red onion, and the taquitos of ham. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
What's your favorite version of gazpacho? Let me know in the comments below (I'm always looking to try any new gazpacho recipes!).
More Gazpacho Recipes Here!
- Traditional Spanish gazpacho
- Roasted vegetable gazpacho
- Cherry gazpacho
- Watermelon gazpacho
- Green gazpacho
Leave a Reply