It’s as simple as it sounds, and something I make weekly for my family at home. These Mediterranean roasted vegetables are flavorful and healthy — today David shares his recipe.
I’ll never understand people who say they don’t like vegetables. What’s not to love?! They can be sweet, savory, earthy, peppery, crunchy, chewy, juicy… anything you want them to be really. But even if you’re one of those nay-sayers, I challenge you to try these Mediterranean roasted vegetables and not enjoy them.
This is my go-to recipe for big family dinners or for those times when you just have a fridge full of veggies you want to use up. Roasting the vegetables brings out their natural flavors, and gives them an extra layer of sweetness. They’re a great side dish to roast meat, and fantastic by themselves, too! And when in doubt, you can always dunk them in spicy, chunky romesco sauce.
Roasted Veggies for Any Season
The great thing about this Mediterranean roasted vegetable recipe is how versatile it is. You can pretty much substitute all of the vegetables I use for whatever you have on hand. I really recommend using whatever is fresh, in season, and tasty.
For this recipe, I’ve opted for the classic Mediterranean veggies you can find in Spanish markets almost all year: potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, and eggplant.
But in winter, when these vegetables can be a bit less fresh and juicy, I’ll go for mushrooms, carrots, cabbage, and whatever other winter vegetables I can get my hands on. Whatever you use, the recipe stays the same!
Your Mediterranean Roasted Vegetable Recipe
Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables
- 8 oz waxy baby potatoes
- 8 oz roma tomatoes any small, sweet tomato will do as a substitute
- 2 zucchinis cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 red bell peppers cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium eggplants cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 head of garlic broken into cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C), and lightly oil a large roasting pan or ceramic baking dish.
- Place all of the veggies and garlic into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil, and add the herbs. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Make sure everything is well coated with oil for the perfect roast and caramelization.
- Take out the potatoes and place them on the roasting pan. Roast for 10 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and add the remaining veggies and garlic. Return to roast for another 20-25 minutes, until all of the vegetables are tender to the press of a fork. (Some charred black bits are ok!).
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. You can grate some fresh parmesan or Manchego cheese on top too for even more flavor!