David's pan fried cod fish recipe is a go-to meal in my house. I love cod because it's so easy to cook, and makes such a satisfying meal.
Loads of people know that Spain is the land of pork. Pork in all shapes and sizes. Pork for breakfast, pork for lunch, and pork for dinner. But only a few know that Spain is also the land of cod.
Bacalao graces the menus of almost every tapas bar in the country! Just like pork, you'll be surprised how many ways there are to prepare cod in Spain.
But like so many things, the simplest ways are usually the best. One of my favorite Spanish cod preparations is to quickly sear it in a pan. Add some fresh and seasonal veggies (either crunchy and raw or soft, sweet, and oven-baked) and you have one healthy, tasty, quick, and easy dinner!
What You'll Need to Make This Recipe
To make this pan-fried cod recipe, you'll want fresh cod fillets. This is different to a lot of Spanish bacalao recipes that call for salted cod. That makes your job a lot easier! No soaking, rinsing, or rehydrating to do, just slap it in a pan and add some heat.
I always leave the skin on the cod loins before I fry them. Nothing beats crispy skin! But, if you prefer, you can always remove the skin before putting the fillets in the pan. In terms of sides, cod is pretty versatile. A selection of fresh, in-season veggies always does it for me, as do roasted or mashed potatoes.
More Delicious Cod Recipes
Spain is famous for its cod dishes. Why not try some others?
- Salt Cod Croquettes: Delicious creamy Spanish croquettes made with salt cod.
- Cod with Egg and Potatoes: This traditional Spanish cod dish is one of my favorite special meals. It's a real crowd-pleaser too.
- Cod and Potato Stew: An easy and typical traditional stew at Lent.
- Cod with Cauliflower: This easy dish is a perfect combination of fish and vegetables.
Pan Fried Cod Fish Recipe
- 2 7 oz fresh cod fillets skin on
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Gently pat dry the cod fillets with a paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
- Place a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, place the cod fillets skin-side down in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until the skin is golden and crisp. Gently turn the fillets over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets. In the last minute, add the butter to the pan and baste the fish. The cod is cooked when all of the flesh has just turned opaque.
- Remove from the pan and serve straight away.
Thanks for checking out my pan fried cod recipe! I hope you enjoy this easy fish meal.