As if croquettes aren’t delicious enough, sometimes Spaniards add creamy potatoes into the mix. These irresistible potato croquettes are perfect for dipping in spicy bravas sauce or creamy romesco.
- 8 tablespoons (120 grams) of unsalted butter
- 1 cup (120 grams) of all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2¼ cups (535 ml) whole milk, at room temperature (important!)
- 2 cups (475 ml) light cream, at room temperature (important!)
- 4 tablespoons (60 grams) of unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into equal sized chunks.
- Cover them with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and boil until a butter knife pierces through easily.
- Strain all water and mash.
- Set apart 2 heaping cups of the potato puree for the recipe.
- Make the bechamel sauce by first melting the 8 T of butter on a medium heat in a heavy saucepan.
- Once it is melted, slowly add in the flour, always stirring so that it doesn't stick.
- Stir constantly for about 5 minutes to completely cook the flour.
- Finally, add the milk and cream, a little at a time, alternating between additions over about a half an hour, constantly stirring.
- When you have a creamy bechamel without any lumps, add the mashed potato (which should still be hot) and a pinch of salt.
- Using either a hand blender or a countertop blender, blend the sauce while adding the cubed butter.
- When the mixture is smooth, let it cool completely, for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Finally, form the croquettes with your hands and dip them in beaten egg followed by breadcrumbs.
- Let the formed croquettes rest in the fridge for another two hours before frying them (or they could also be frozen at this point).
- Fry the croquettes in hot olive oil (if possible) or vegetable oil/sunflower oil if not.
- Let the potato croquettes rest on paper towels and serve hot with dipping sauces if desired.
Potato croquettes are my go-to recipe for a fun tapas party, and kids love them too! They may be time consuming, but worth every bite!
Latest posts by Lauren Aloise (see all)
- Discover Galicia on a Food Lover’s Galicia Road Trip - February 26, 2017
- Join Me! Devour Andalusia Culinary Tour September 2017 - February 13, 2017
- My Best Bites of 2016 - January 15, 2017