This fried eggplant with honey recipe is a popular tapas throughout Andalusia in southern Spain. Known locally as berenjenas fritas con miel, it’s a sweet and savory dish that you must try at least once!
I miss the tapas culture in Seville every day. No matter what anyone tries to tell me, the tapas culture just isn’t the same here in Madrid! Sure, I know where to find a decent tapa, but they are much more expensive and the good places are usually packed.
There are also some delicious Andalusian tapas that haven’t made their way up to Madrid. One of them is a favorite of mine, crispy fried eggplant with honey. This tapa is quite popular in Seville and is one of the few vegetarian tapas available. Luckily, it isn’t difficult to make at home. Here is the fried eggplant with honey recipe I learned from my mother-in-law, Antonia.
Note: This recipe can also be vegan if made with “cane honey” (miel de caña) or molasses.
Fried Eggplant with Honey Recipe
- 2-3 small eggplants
- Olive Oil
- Honey or molasses
- Cut the eggplant in round slices or in matchsticks, depending on your preference.
- In a large bowl, cover the eggplant with milk and add a pinch of salt. Allow the eggplant to soak for about an hour (this is to draw out any bitterness).
- Drain the eggplant and coat the slices in the flour, which you can season with some salt and pepper if desired.
- Fry the slices in a deep, heavy pan with abundant olive oil. (Make sure the oil is very hot before adding the slices and fry in batches as to not overcrowd the pan!)
- Remove the eggplant and drain on paper towels. Season with a pinch of salt. Drizzle with honey or molasses before serving.
This is only one of the many Spanish tapas recipes I have had to ask Antonia for since moving to Madrid. For me, Andalusia will always be my favorite place in Spain for hearty, homemade tapas. I’m hoping to be able to head north this summer and try Spain’s more innovative, world-renowned tapas too. But for now, I am here in Madrid, testing out Antonia’s homemade tapas recipes in my tiny kitchen, and enjoying Madrid’s international eateries when I go out.
Have you tried this fried eggplant with honey recipe? What did you think?