Today I share with you a delicious and easy Catalan coca recipe. This homemade flatbread is popular in Catalonia, Spain. It is usually topped with delicious roasted vegetables, such as roasted red peppers and spinach.
The first time I saw homemade cocas on offer in a Barcelona bakery, I was confused. They looked like mini pizzas, without the cheese. I’d never seen them while living in Madrid or Seville, so I quickly became acquainted by ordering a few different ones.
In Catalonia, cocas can be sweet or savory, and there are a lot of different recipes. This Catalan coca recipe is called coca de recapte, which is defined as a savory coca topped with sausage and vegetables.
I made this coca while in culinary school in Barcelona. It was a lot of fun to top the delicious flatbread with our favorite ingredients. Much like with homemade pizza, a homemade coca is easy to customize to your liking!
Catalan Coca Recipe
Catalan Coca Recipe - Delicious Homemade Flatbread
- 1 cup flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 45 ml 1/8 cup + 1 Tablespoon water (you may need to add up to 1/4 cup if dry)
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl
- Mix with your hands and kneed for a few minutes until you have an elastic dough
- Put the dough back into the bowl and cover with a warm dishcloth. Leave to rise in a warm place for about an hour.
- Roll out the dough to about a half cm thickness, and poke all over with a fork. Paint with olive oil and place on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Bake at 400°F for about 10 minutes, until golden.
- Remove and add your favorite toppings. (If you wish you can put back under the burner for a few minutes to warm the toppings, but it's not necessary).
Ideas for Toppings
- Sauteed spinach and pinenuts
- Excellent quality cured anchovies
- Artichoke hearts
- Roasted red peppers
- Hard boiled egg
- Pisto (sauteed vegetables)
- Tomato sauce
Will you try this Catalan coca recipe? What would you top it with? Let me know in the comments!